Source: Bloomberg |
After Stuyvesant traded away large portions of territory to
the English colonies of New Haven and Connecticut, his Dutch colonists were quite
upset with him. The tensions with the Native Americans were always ready to
flare up, and several unscrupulous Dutchmen had been discovered selling rum,
firearms, and ammunition to the Indians — firearms and ammo that could be used to massacre colonists.
In 1652, a naval war between England
and the Netherlands had
broken out not only in the English Channel, but in the Caribbean and the trade
routes and ports of the Atlantic. Piracy and
privateering were rampant. The English settlers on Long
Island and the coasts along Long Island Sound learned that the
Dutch were paying the Indians to attack the English and drive them off.
When settlers like the militia commander Captain John
Underhill, a magistrate in the New
Haven-governed area of Long Island, called for his fellow Englishmen to rise up
against “the iniquitous government of Pieter Stuyvesant,” he was first
imprisoned for sedition, then kicked out of New Netherland.
(Captain Underhill had a Dutch wife and
mother-in-law, so living among the Dutch was not a foreign concept to him.)
In the winter of 1652-53, both the English and Dutch
settlers on Long Island were dissatisfied with
Stuyvesant’s governing. They held community meetings and sent deputies from
each village to demand reforms of the director-general, which he dismissed with
the arrogant statement, “We derive our authority from God and the Company, not
from a few ignorant subjects.”
Captain William Dyer (husband of the woman who would become the famous Quaker martyr in 1660, Mary Dyer), was at this time Rhode Island attorney
general, and had already been commissioned by England’s Council of State in early
October 1652. His orders were to “raise
such forts and otherwise arm and strengthen your Colony, for defending
yourselves against the Dutch, or other enemies of this Commonwealth, or for
offending them, as you shall think necessary; and also to take and seize all
such Dutch ships and vessels at sea, or as shall come into any of your harbors,
or within your power, taking care that such account be given to the State as is
usual in the like cases.”
On March 17, 1652, six wealthy men of New
Amsterdam, meanwhile, fearing both Indian and English attacks on
their city, raised six thousand guilders to build a defensive palisade. They
contracted with Thomas Baxter, a young English colonist living there, to, within two weeks,
provide masses of cut lumber and logs to build the wooden wall. (Baxter would
shortly thereafter criticize Stuyvesant and leave his small home and catboat,
to join the privateer forces under William Dyer and John Underhill.)
Stuyvesant ordered all men of the town, under pain of fine, loss of citizenship, and banishment, to dig a defensive ditch and post holes for the palisade that would run right across the island there, and make two gates and gatehouses, at what would later be called Broadway, and at the water gate on the East River. The wall was 2870 feet long (a little over half a mile), from the western end on the bluff of the Hudson River, to the East River. The palisade was built during the month of April, and completed on May 1, 1653. The earthen wagon road inside the palisade was called Waal Straat.
It's interesting that though there were substantial Dutch residential and commercial settlements on nearby Long Island (Bronx, Brooklyn), no wall was attempted there.
Stuyvesant ordered all men of the town, under pain of fine, loss of citizenship, and banishment, to dig a defensive ditch and post holes for the palisade that would run right across the island there, and make two gates and gatehouses, at what would later be called Broadway, and at the water gate on the East River. The wall was 2870 feet long (a little over half a mile), from the western end on the bluff of the Hudson River, to the East River. The palisade was built during the month of April, and completed on May 1, 1653. The earthen wagon road inside the palisade was called Waal Straat.
It's interesting that though there were substantial Dutch residential and commercial settlements on nearby Long Island (Bronx, Brooklyn), no wall was attempted there.
In May 1653, Dyer and Underhill were commissioned by Rhode Island and the
United Colonies of New England as Commander-in-Chief Upon the Seas (Dyer) and
Commander-in-Chief Upon the Land (Underhill).
William Dyer and John
Underhill never attacked New Amsterdam, probably because of lack of financial and material support from the English Council of State, and the First Anglo-Dutch War ended by
treaty in January 1654. Dyer's privateers Baxter and Hull seized several ships and properties not only of Dutch traders, but of Englishmen who lived in Dutch territories, and there were several admiralty court cases required to resolve finances and ownership of ships and goods.
New Amsterdam was renamed "New York" in 1664 at the conclusion of the Third Anglo-Dutch War, when by treaty, England abandoned the Spice Islands of Indonesia (and parts of the Caribbean), and the Netherlands surrendered their colony and trading territories around Long Island Sound, Manhattan, and the Hudson River, allowing the English to administer those lands.
From 1680-82, Mary and William Dyer’s second son, William Dyre the younger (born about 1640 in Newport, Rhode Island), was mayor of the city of New York.
New Amsterdam was renamed "New York" in 1664 at the conclusion of the Third Anglo-Dutch War, when by treaty, England abandoned the Spice Islands of Indonesia (and parts of the Caribbean), and the Netherlands surrendered their colony and trading territories around Long Island Sound, Manhattan, and the Hudson River, allowing the English to administer those lands.
From 1680-82, Mary and William Dyer’s second son, William Dyre the younger (born about 1640 in Newport, Rhode Island), was mayor of the city of New York.
The Wall, having decayed over the last forty years, was
dismantled in the 1690s, and the street that ran along the palisade became one
of the most famous streets in the world — the home of high finance, and
synonymous with greed and corruption.
To share this story, copy and paste this link into social media: https://bit.ly/2RJwH7H
To share this story, copy and paste this link into social media: https://bit.ly/2RJwH7H
**********
Mary Dyer, having been made famous by Quaker historians, has received all of the attention over the last 400 years, but her husband William Dyer was a remarkable man in his own right. Read about both of them in the biographical narratives by Christy K Robinson. Click HERE to learn more about the Dyers.http://bit.ly/DYERbooks |
**********
Christy K Robinson is author of these sites:
- Discovering Love (inspiration)
- Rooting for Ancestors (history and genealogy)
- William and Mary Barrett Dyer (17th century culture and history of England and New England)
and of these books:
· We
Shall Be Changed (2010)
· Mary Dyer Illuminated (2013)
· Mary Dyer: For Such a Time as This (2014)
· The Dyers of London, Boston, & Newport (2014)
· Effigy Hunter (2015)
· Anne Marbury Hutchinson: American Founding Mother (2018)
· Mary Dyer Illuminated (2013)
· Mary Dyer: For Such a Time as This (2014)
· The Dyers of London, Boston, & Newport (2014)
· Effigy Hunter (2015)
· Anne Marbury Hutchinson: American Founding Mother (2018)
Fascinating history ... and with a Dyer connection.
ReplyDeleteMost of the historical accounts are about Mary Dyer, written by Quakers. William Dyer was an important man (co-founder of Portsmouth and Newport, first attorney general in America, de facto admiral--though he was never called that, an emissary between colonial Rhode Island and England, land surveyor, solicitor general, secretary of state, militia captain, etc.), but because he wasn't a Quaker, he was passed over in the Quaker publicity mill.
DeleteYou are so good at finding and sharing "our" ancestors. Thank you.
ReplyDelete